Monday, June 15, 2009

SOMETIMES OLD AGE GETS DEPRESSING...

A BRIEF ESSAY ON ETERNITY AND FAITH

Religion is a subject that still warms the wax in aged ears. Because of our mortality, there is always that hope that someone has finally really found the guarantee for eternal life with factual proof of that life. Before I shake the very souls of my ancestor's bones, let me state that I have not given up the faith; no, I have as much faith now as I always have. There is one difference between then and now, however. It is called time.

That is to say, the day of reckoning is much nearer now than it was in 1960. Oh, I knew that I was a mere mortal nearly fifty years ago, but that knowledge is gaining volume, the wisdom is thickening. Waking in the middle of the night from a dream, I concentrate on its content and hope I can make some sense of it. But dreams leave one hanging and few dreams make sense. Not too long ago, in that thin haze that hangs between reality and dreams, I caught a dream like one catches a big fish. It was a whopper. It was a dream filled with wisdom. Could it possibly have been a revealation?

It was if I had the answers to all of the mysteries of the ages. The answers to almost every question I have ever had were right in front of me, magically marked on the linen sheet, written on the regrigerator door, scrawled on the ceiling, traced in the dust on the back of a black sedan. My coffee tasted better than usual that morning.

It isn't everyday that one gains that much wisdom and is able to retain it. That's right, every question and curiosity I have ever entertained, answered in factual truths. They were, in my opinion, factual truths. I want to mention them in a future article,but I will not forget them.

The one question that still remains, the one that has haunted most people since time began. I am going to do some more extensive research, but I don't imagine I will be able to gladden the day with any new answers. There are those who mention that Mother Theresa admitted she did not have all of the answers. That was no news to most of us who have thought about eternity. Sister Theresa might have had some questions, a few doubts--that is all part of our human nature. If I had Sister Theresa's track record, one thing is certain, I would worry much less about eternity.

No comments:

Post a Comment