Thursday, June 16, 2011

MY FIRST DUTY STATION IN THE USN--WORTH WAITING FOR

MY FIRST DUTY STATION IN THE USN--WORTH WAITING FOR
When I graduated from boot camp at USNTC in San Diego in early summer of 1960, I was placed in a transient status awaiting orders. I was disappointed. While most of the guys in my company had their orders in hand and were heading off to tin cans, aircraft carriers and various other vessels, I was stuck in a status of uncertainty. Why didn't I have orders to some ship, or a service school? When I was interviewed while in boot camp, and asked what kind of duty I wanted, I told the interviewer I would like to be onboard a destroyer that went from one port to another, preferably in the far east. I was anxious to get underway, to smell the brine of the sea spray as the prow of a small vessel like a DD or DDE divided the sea on the way to Hong Kong or Sasebo.

NO, I didn't step into a three star command like COMNAVAIRPAC when I finally got my orders. As an E-2, a Seaman Apprentice, I was sent across the San Diego Bay and reported for duty in the Flag Administrative Unit of COMNAVAIRPAC. To make a long story short, my first duty position was typing out what was then called the Plan of the Day, the POD. It was short and sweet in that I listed the uniform of the day as per the season, the menu, as per the head cook of the air station and other information that was pertinent to sailors and officers who were stationed on North Island in 1960--50 years ago.

It is strange that the older one becomes, the more pristine and clear are the memories of times long passed. I don't mimd the memories. My only complaint is that the memories are all behind me. I wished they were still ahead. But such is life. Enjoy it while young and fit.

No comments:

Post a Comment