Sunday, May 27, 2012

Venice Houses

Venice Houses by feculent_fugue
Venice Houses, a photo by feculent_fugue on Flickr.

A BUNGALOW FOR ONLY TEN GRAND--BUT THAT WAS IN 1961

You are right, expensive. My first visit to Venice Beach, California was in the summer of 1959. Only 17, I thought it was a paradise. The blue Pacific was the perfect mural, a paradise come-to-life. Bikinis and beautiful women, men with tanned muscles--it was the place for beautiful people.

I watched the parade of California gals and guys and hoped I might get invited to a beach blanket bingo party. Pacific Ocean Park was open and one could hear the cries of joy as the roller coaster riders went up one wooden hill and down another; it was fun, a summer of fun.

I liked Venice so well, I left my midwestern home and headed west. There wasn't a day when I wasn't goofing off along the Promenade--until I finally decided to join the Navy. I joined the service in 1960 and was stationed in San Diego. Venice Beach was often a weekend destination.

I had met some friends and was having a great time. Two old gentlemen whom I had befriended told me they wanted to sell their home, a beachfront bungalow. They said they had enjoyed it for years but were too old to continue living there.

"We have had our parties here for years, years--but we are just too old to stay. We want to slow it down, get fed on time and enjoy our golden years," the older of the two said. "So, if you want it for around ten grand, it's yours."

If I had not been scheduled to go overseas, I would have purchased the real estate, but that is the world of "if."
_______________________________________
Venice Houses by feculent_fugue

No comments:

Post a Comment