Saturday, January 1, 2011

ANOTHER NICK LEONARD PHOTO



Originally uploaded by Nick Leonard
NICK IS AN UP AND COMING YOUNG PHOTOGRAPHER. His photographs are most amazing, most unique. Some are focused on the joys of a city full of fun and luck, Las Vegas, but some of his images focus on the seemy side of life, the images of the downtrodden. Here is my essay on Nick's shot of this supermarket cart.

Yes, that a supermarket basket is the vessel that holds one person's possessions on this voyage through life might seem sad, is sad, but is society to blame or is it simply lack of planning? Is it because of mental impairment, substance abuse, or perhaps someone who is simply "down on their luck?"

And if someone is down on their luck, can they do something to change that luck? America has more entitlement programs than most any other nation on earth. To be quite honest, it is possible that the owner of this vehicle could apply for a grant, food stamps, impoverished housing payments, a federal loan, or even a student loan to learn a skill. What is the problem then?

Is it an individual problem, then, or one that I should solve with my own bank account? Won't my taxes, used properly, take this individual back on a voyage to a more lucrative port?

Do not accuse me, please, of having no compassion; I have plenty of compassion, but I do not have enough money to solve this plight of the ship that hit the rocks. My best to whoever is the pilot or captain of this wayward vessel.
Uploaded by Nick Leonard on 22 May 10,

No comments:

Post a Comment