Wednesday, January 12, 2011

The Dom Cathedral (Kölner Dom) in Cologne, Germany WWII, May 10th, 1945. "Trolley Missions"...Kölner Dom in Köln, Deutschland WWII, 10. Mai 1945. "Trolley-Missionen"

WHY DID THE CATHEDERAL REMAIN IN THE MIDST OF THE RUTHLESS DESTRUCTION?

Thinking more about this incredible photo, reading the comments and pondering over the ruins, I find myself becoming more of a pacifist with age. What is it about the nature of man that has caused such ruination? No, it is not every man, for sure. I tell myself that if the world of men before me had my sense of respect for life, the history of the world would be different. No, I am not alone in my pacitivity; most of the men who live in contemporary society surely feel the same. So, what is the excuse for such rubble? It was not, we know, the rubble that was the initial cause for the destruction--it was to put an end to the evil forces who were hiding in the city. Bombs were dropped to stop the production of weapons, for sure, but such utter distruction?

Why did the cathederal remain amid all of the ruin? Was it because some of the warriors had respect for life as taught by the church in their early youth?
____________________________________________________
The Dom Cathedral (Kölner Dom) in Cologne, Germany WWII, May 10th, 1945. "Trolley Missions"...Kölner Dom in Köln, Deutschland WWII, 10. Mai 1945. "Trolley-Missionen"

Uploaded by David C. Foster on 13 Dec 07, 2.45PM PST.

No comments:

Post a Comment